Friday, April 4, 2014

Lab 11

Oh lab 11 how difficult you were for me!  I really struggled with this lab.  Not with the material, creating a dot density map was fairly straight forward.  Especially when you create one from scratch 5 different times!  Let me tell you, that was quite frustrating!  However, I finally got the map to work, kinda.  What I eventually had to do was take a screenshot of the map with my masking working and then I turned in the .JPG of the broken map.  I tried pretty much everything to get the masking to work but unfortunately it wouldn't work.

Anyway the purpose of this lab was to create a dot density map of south Florida's population.  We were given quite a bit of freedom in the actual creation of the map which was good because it made us use good color schemes in the creation.  We used two layers in this map the Surface Water and the Urban Land.  The best way to create this map was to place dots only in the Urban Land areas.  I chose the colors to emphasize the dots as opposed to the surface water or the interstate system.  The bottom picture is the map with the masking turned on.  This should give you an idea of where the dot densities should have fallen in the actual map.  You can see that the main concentrations are Tampa and Miami which makes sense because those areas are some of the larger cities in Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment