Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Easy, but super cool

This weeks lab was very straightforward and I, for one, am glad that it was .  We investigated the more analytic side of ArcMap and it is way powerful.  I was glad that it was easy and straightforward because without solid instructions it would have been a very difficult task to figure most of this lab out on our own.  For the first part we created our own geolocator database based upon EMS locations in Lake County Florida.  Then we plotted each location and created a route to take us from one EMS location to 2 others.  I would have never figured out how to do that part on my own.  
Lake County EMS Map
For the second part we messed with the Model Builder toolset which allows you to pair the input and output of different tools to create what I would call a complex equation.  This allows you to perform multiple actions without having to do it manually using the outputs of other tools.  Below is a screenshot of the Model Builder tool.  Each tool(the yellow boxes) has a shadow underneath it because it has been ran and it created some layers on my map for me.  I was hesitant about this part before I used it but it is extremely powerful and I can see how creating a template model would benefit someone who runs the same tools often.  Well GIS Ninjas, see you next week!

Model Builder

No comments:

Post a Comment